Wednesday, June 11, 2008

7 1/2 Habits of Life Long Learners

I would certainly consider myself a life long learner, but had not given much consideration to what traits they might share. Reflecting on which of these traits I strongly possess and which I need to work on was interesting for me. I would say there was more than one trait on the list that I feel I need to work on more.


I have difficulty always seeing problems as challenges, and have a tendency to get frustrated by them, rather than seeing them as the opportunities they are. I agreed quite strongly with something mentioned in the Life Long Learners presentation: that where I am today is because of the curve balls given to me in life that i learned to deal with and overcome. It would do me good to remember that more often. I also think I should work on setting goals. I am more like "oh, it would be cool to know..." but without a specific goal or purpose in mind to focus and motivate me. Perhaps that vague "it would be cool to know..." goal is enough, but I also think it allows me to get side tracked in my education more easily.


I am strong in the play and teach others category. I actually love to share my skills/knowledge with others who wish to have it. Its fun. And play, well, who doesn't love to play-learn. That's the best kind of learning there is I think. I actually love children's arts and crafts books because I find them filled with a joyous playful learning. I made a rainstick last week. I am making a drum this weekend.

2 comments:

laurenm said...

I really like children's craft books too, and I have a pretty good one checked out from the library right now. The big problem for an adult like me is finding the time to actually do the things in the book. So far, I've just been imagining doing the things-maybe that's the next best thing...?

Laura Trapp said...

I can really relate to having difficulty with seeing problems as challenges! That is the one I want to work on too...